Friday, April 30, 2010

Ernie is still dead, and I am not

The moon again.

Under that strange high moon rising to meet its eclipse, I thought of Ernie. No, not Ernie Pyle. The other one. Bathtime. Rubber ducky. Rage, thinly shrouded in orange felt.

After that, I thought of Ernie Pyle. His was a name I hardly knew just a few years ago, except in some vague way I knew he had been a writer, at war. That changed when people compared my work to his, and sent a couple of Ernie’s books to me. After reading them, I thought the comparison extremely flattering but inaccurate. After all, who would compare him to the greatest war correspondent of all times?

There are some obvious similarities between Ernie and me. I say “folks” a lot; so did Ernie. We also use the word “the” quite often. Ernie loved the infantry; I spend most of my time with infantry. We both reported on wars, even if I did spend more time in Iraq than Ernie or any other reporter ever did (Afghanistan too). The name Ernie Pyle has nine letters, and the name Michael Yawn has eleven letters – and that is pretty close.

But while Ernie talked bluntly about the ugly parts of war, I simply lack the skills to make anything ugly look pretty. Believe me I've tried, in many Thai massage parlors. And Ernie was never disembedded four times. Ernie never called for the dismissal of top generals in theater. He wasn’t arrested by US Customs and subjected to treatment not seen under the Khmer Rouge. The horror. The horror. Maybe those were different times. Maybe Ernie really wanted to do those things but he was restrained. Or scared. But not me.

Where Pyle and I share closest ties is in our knowledge of the value our work has for troop morale, for strategic gains, and victory. But in Ernie’s day, it seems that more of the military leaders knew this as well. Military leaders made it possible for Ernie Pyle to do his best work, something I wrote about more than one year ago, when no one else had the courage to write it.

Not so today. If only our military leaders would get rid of McChrystal. If only they’d relieve Menard and tell the Canadians we Americans won’t be subject to their maple-syrup coated tyranny. If only they’d allow a new Ernie Pyle the same opportunity to spread the truth.

Then maybe we’d win this war.

But comparisons between Pyle and myself really shouldn’t be made. Ernie is dead after all, and I am not. Unlike Pyle, I am still able to report the truth of this war to you.

The day has ended. Moon Ring. Liquid Moon. Moonbats. Blue Moon. Afghan Moon. Moon of Sorrow.

But something is on. Combat aircraft are over top. Big guns? Predators? C130 hovers. Action. Godspeed to the bros who need it. I miss them so much. Blast McChrystal, he is denying our troops my presence.

Packing. Gun at ready, good man said put away. Was that Ernie's ghost? No, Ernie is dead. But he lives in me.

Goodnight moon.

24 comments:

  1. That was just beautiful, Michael.

    You put in words exactly what I was feeling. I often read poetry, but what you write is a song that touches my heart. There is a purity to your verse that shines though even in the darkest hours. Don't give up. Never give up.

    I have to stop, there's something in my eye. Allergy season I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micheal, you need to put a tissue warning at the top of posts like these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. *sniff* HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "goodnight moon" - I was reading your post out loud to friends at the office. When I got to that part my voice cracked, and someone had to finish for me. Afterwards we were all just silent for a while.

    "goodnight moon".

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw this post I wanted to be the first to comment. But after I read it I was just too overcome to express anything in words. I used a box of tissues.

    Someone should send this out by email.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sure won't be seeing this on CNN any time soon. Thank you Michael. I know the troops miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Micheal,

    My uncle served in the Army. He was in just after World War Two. If you don't mind I'm going to send this to him. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is serving over there. Thank you Michael.

    But definitely put a "tissue alert" at the top next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sniff" ......something in my eye....

    ReplyDelete
  10. C130s can't hover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "c130s can't hover"

    Earth to expat expert: Michael tells the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AmericanBornAmericanNowApril 30, 2010 at 9:18 PM

    STOP ATTACKING!

    Michael gets enough of that from McChrystal and his gang. Has anyone else noticed the so called "milbloggers" still haven't published their emails they get from the DoD? I thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Expat Expert, STOP ATTACKING MICHAEL! C130s can hover if Michael wants them to hover. He tells the TRUTH and you spout LIES.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not attacking. I'm just saying that he shouldn't say things like that that WILL open him up to attack from McChrystals gang, CNN, and the rest.

    Michael, stick to the facts. WE NEED YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WHAT WE NEED are more people who will STOP HOUNDING Michael. Criticizing a man while he's down is the LOWEST of the LOW.

    Michael, I *get* what your saying about Ernie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michael, I linked this post at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Someone else is using my handle. Can you please call yourself MY FAN#2? Or something?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Expat Expert, STOP ATTACKING MICHAEL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. *sniff* ---tissue alert.

    ReplyDelete
  20. MY Fan, I am soooo sorry! I thought I was the original MY Fan. Now I will us THE MY Fan. I hope that is OK with you. Can we still be friends? We both luv Michael so much and he needs us. I wish we could have a group snuggle with him right now.

    Expat Expert, STOP HATING ON MICHAEL.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Menard is TOAST!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post needs a "tissue alert" at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We're with you Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I should have invested in Kleenex!

    Oh Michael, G*d bless you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete