Sunday, May 2, 2010

Danger Close with Destiny

Some of McChrystal’s milblogger goons are trolling my comments demanding “evidence” that he is waging a smear campaign against me. Others want “proof” that he doesn’t know how to run this war.

The evidence has been sent to my lawyer. And the proof … well, the proof McChrystal doesn’t know what he’s doing is everywhere. The proof is in Afghan children making paper airplanes because they don’t know how to read. The proof is in Mayor McChrystal McCheese monopolizing whoppers. The proof is in the pudding.

Nevertheless, I have something bigger than evidence. Larger than proof.

I have destiny.

Six years ago.

There I was, there I was, there I was … in … the Congo.

I’d been hot on the trail of a pack of fugitive Nazi cannibals for months, and just stumbled across their abandoned camp. Crept into a clearing, pistol drawn. Heard no voices. No footsteps. A dwindling fire hissed its dying breaths under the sounds of the jungle. A rhesus monkey laughed at man’s impotence against nature. The macaw cried about something sad. The ominous notes of Wagner’s Götterdämmerung drifted from an antique victrola atop a tree stump.

Over the cooling firepit was a charred human body, split down the middle by a metal spit. A German eagle and a swastika set in silver relief from the handle. Some of the meat on the body was gone. Nazi cannibals were ass men, apparently. An Iron Cross glinted from the ashes. Its black and silver finish tarnished by oxidation and history’s judgment.

I’d just missed the Nazi cannibal bastards.

Suddenly, a crack. Gripped my revolver tightly. Spun and leveled it on the chest of an intruder. Fear was greeted by mirth. A small, brown man stood barefoot and naked, except for a scraggly white beard and a necklace of shrunken heads draped around his neck. His eyes hard to see past the wrinkled folds of his smile. The brown slits gleamed with wisdom and power. I recognized the mark of a shaman. He recognized the mark of a warrior.

“Away put your weapon, I mean you no harm,” he said with a raspy accent.

“Who are you?”

“Not important it is who I am, Michael Yawn,” he answered.

His gaze became serious. “To you more important – to the fate of the world more important – is who you are … uh, is.”

“I don’t have time for word footsie, little fella, I’ve got a lot of work to do. I’m hot on the trail of a pack of Nazi cannibals.”

“Take you to them, I will. But now, must eat.”

The old man reached into a pouch made from the skin of a panther. He rummaged around and pulled out a pack of saltines.

“No, will not do, this,” he harrumphed and tossed them aside. The shaman dug through the bag again, this time finding and discarding a pack of wet naps. After tossing away mints, Crest White Strips and a dog-eared Danielle Steele novel - the shaman finally found what he was looking for. His eyes closed and his long, pointy ears twitched in satisfaction. He pulled something out of the bag and thrust it toward me.

“Here. Eat this, you must.”

It was a human skull, top sawed off above the eyes. Inside was a creamy paste. Looked like peanut butter. Looked like danger.

It just so happens, I like peanut butter and danger. It’s my middle name. (“Danger,” not “peanut butter.”)

I ate the paste. It tasted like destiny.

“Well thee fare, Michael Yawn. Your destiny, you will find.”

The world swirled. Blurriness, then blackness.

Color. Swirling color. A tunnel of light. A strange figure, riding, walking toward me. On eight legs. A giant spider on a bridge of light. Only, its torso was that of a man with craggy features wearing a green uniform. Next to the spider man was a demon in a hockey jersey negligently discharging a weapon.

In front of them was a man. His steely gaze and rigid shoulders obviously marked him as an American soldier. Behind the soldier was an Afghan girl, making paper airplanes. The spider man and the hockey player were attacking the American soldier and the Afghan girl. They spotted me.

“There is nothing you can do to stop us, Michael ‘Danger’ Yawn,” they said in unison.

“Eh,” added the hockey demon.

“God damn you bastards, I must try.”

“Yes, try you must,” echoed the voice of the shaman. “Try you must, try you must, try you …”

“… must.”

I awoke on the wooden floor of a Thai cathouse. Naked. Two sleeping ladyboys tangled on straw mat next to me. Opium incense sticks burning. Empty tequila bottles. Pounding head. Was it a memory? Was it a dream? Was it a vision? I didn’t know.

Until now.

52 comments:

  1. Micahel, this is Gonzo Jouranlism at it's finest, in the tradition of the great Hunter S Thompson. Have you ever read Hunter S Thompson? You should put some of his stuff on your wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I won't access my blog from library computer (tracers, no security here), but I'll shut down here and head home and get this linked ASAP. I thank you for link earlier! (And while I prefer to be called The Captain for you I'll make an exception!)

    For those who haven't read the post Mike linked at my blog it's linked via my name above. Just click it and you'll be there in a flash! (Hopefully it hasn't crashed due to server overload!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael that was some of your best work this week. I'm printing that one out ~ definitely another one for the scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BethAnne from MuncieMay 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM

    Tammi, did you get the decorative camoflage ribbons I sent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did, Beth, but those were the old DCU pattern. I can use them for trimming, but do you have ACU style?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the alert Vietnam veteran who saved New York City from the mad bomber(s?) on CNN. When asked "what's your message to the people of New York" he said just four words: "See somethin, say somethin".

    That is so true. And exactly what you'd expect a quiet, Vietnam veteran t-shirt salesman to say after saving the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, Mandy, that's three words. One of them was repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would make an awesome t-shirt:

    SEE SOMETHIN', SAY SOMETHIN'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing worth writing is too big for a t-shirt or bumper sticker.

    I read that on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twitterlicious (So delicious)May 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM

    Awesome! I'm going to re-tweet that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @twitterlicious: Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @twitterlicious @Lance: Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @twitterlicious, @Lance, @sshole: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @twitterlicious, @Lance, @sshole, @FancyNancy: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @FancyNancy @twitterlicious, @Lance, @sshole: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @FancyNancy @Meghan @Tammi Fever @twitterlicious (So delicious), @Lance, @sshole: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Anonymous @FancyNancy @Meghan @Tammi Fever @twitterlicious (So delicious), @Lance, @sshole: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Nothing worth writing is too big for a t-shirt or bumper sticker."

    Ummm... that's sort of an attack on Michael's post....

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Barb Wells @Anonymous @FancyNancy @Meghan @Tammi Fever @twitterlicious (So delicious), @Lance, @sshole: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Anonymous @Barb Wells @Anonymous @FancyNancy @Meghan @Tammi Fever @twitterlicious (So delicious), @Lance, @sshole: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG Wait, what? you might be right.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Anonymous @Anonymous @Barb Wells @Anonymous @FancyNancy @Meghan @Tammi Fever @twitterlicious (So delicious), @Lance, @sshole: me too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @mIKEyAWNrAWKS!!! (Tweet tweet!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. @mIKEyAWNrAWKS @sshole!!!! (Tweet tweet!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, continuing from the other thread, here's what we've got so far:

    1. Obama is planning to deploy 80,000 troops IN AMERICA just before the elections.

    4. Obama dispatched SWAT teams to oil rigs (Hat tip: anonymous commenter)

    2. SUPPOSEDLY "an alert Vietnam veteran" discovered a car bomb near the headquarters of the New York Times just in time to stop it from blowing up.

    3. Did North Korea Attack Gulf Oil Rig?

    Check?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I noticed you left me off, Meghan....

    ReplyDelete
  28. BethAnne from MuncieMay 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM

    Tammi, I make my own. These are nice though.

    http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Collection-Military-Stickers-yellow-Ribbon/dp/B0013AM8ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1272825942&sr=8-1

    I've got lots of pages with these and pictures I've printed off the web of troops coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  29. FactCheck, I thought we were going with Roman numerals?

    Also, BronxCheer, are you from New York?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gaaak! Stopped at red light... home soon....


    (Sent by PalmPilot, sorry for typos...)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Roman numerals, right!

    I. Obama is planning to deploy 80,000 troops IN AMERICA just before the elections.

    VI. Obama dispatched SWAT teams to oil rigs (Hat tip: anonymous commenter)

    II. SUPPOSEDLY "an alert Vietnam veteran" discovered a car bomb near the headquarters of the New York Times just in time to stop it from blowing up.

    III. Did North Korea Attack Gulf Oil Rig?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your VI should be IV. VI is 6, 4 is IV.

    ReplyDelete
  33. No, he's got it right. VI is 4.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Okay, need another pro. Anyone here from Rome?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Waiting for part twoMay 2, 2010 at 11:46 PM

    Michael
    Please don't leave us hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  36. BethAnn those are adorable! How DO you find this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  37. 4 (FOUR) is IV. IV is 4 (FOUR). TRUST ME!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Michael that was awesome! I was feeling dizzy as I got near the end, and I realized it was because I was holding my breath all the way through! Thank G*d I'm a speed reader!

    ReplyDelete
  39. No free ice cream for me, I'm hitting the tip jar! (Maybe that will speed up the conclusion - -I can't stand cliffhangers either..... hint hint nudge wink)

    ReplyDelete
  40. BethAnne from MuncieMay 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM

    Tammi, I've been scrapbooking for a long time, I can't even remember life before scrapbooking! Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You guys won't believe this.... held up by loooooooong train... racing home now.....

    (Sent by PalmPilot, sorry for typos...)

    ReplyDelete
  42. mcchrystalisadooshMay 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM

    Looks like you guys have done some work on my fact list. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  43. "Looks good!"

    Thanks... did some "drilling down" - -turned up some additional facts. So with that approval, here's what we've got:

    I. Obama is planning to deploy 80,000 troops IN AMERICA just before the elections.

    VI. Obama dispatched SWAT teams to oil rigs (Hat tip: anonymous commenter)

    II. SUPPOSEDLY "an alert Vietnam veteran" discovered a car bomb near the headquarters of the New York Times just in time to stop it from blowing up.

    III. Did North Korea Attack Gulf Oil Rig?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Becky Sims AlgonquinMay 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM

    "Are we being willfully disinformed by the American media as to both the cause and the possible solution to the oil rig disaster in the Gulf?" That's from the story about the NorK attack on the oil rig.

    YES! I have never watched the American media for more than 5 seconds without feeling like I had been willfully disinformed. That's why I love this web site. Whenever I read Mike Yawn he makes me feel completly undisinformed in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Three cheers for the undisinformer Mike Yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Michael,

    I think we need you to embed on oil rigs in the Gulf to help get to the TRUTH about South Korea dispatching SWAT teams to blow them up. This is serious stuff. I saw the movie Ffolkes several times and am terrified at the possibilities of South Korean terrorists blowing up our oil and killing all of those Arctic seals in the Gulf.

    I wonder if these South Korean SWAT teams will deploy with the thirtieth brigade here before Election Day? Thos South Korean SWAT teams are clearly dangerous and can serve as the shock troops for those 80,000 soldiers that are chomping at the bit to steal our liberty.

    Is anyone as scared as me?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous said "Micahel, this is Gonzo Jouranlism at it's finest, in the tradition of the great Hunter S Thompson."

    Reminds me of the late great Louis L'amour at his best. My ma used to read to us yunguns from Louis' work ever night 'afor bed time. Fond memories.

    That's the kind a Man I always wanted to grow up t'be. That's the kind a man Mike is. Shows right through in his writing, no hidin' that.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Daisy from DubuqueMay 3, 2010 at 2:54 AM

    Michael really is a blend of Hunter S Thompson and Louis L'amour, isn't he Tex?

    But I also read romance novels (DON'T LAUGH!), and I can imagine Michael as the hero in whichever ones I'm reading on any given day. An ancient warrior, a modern stock-broker-by-day/rock-star-by-night, a virile young swashbuckling pirate captain... I ALWAYS picture all of them with Michael's face.

    Sighs....

    ReplyDelete
  49. Michael, this post explains a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  50. McChrystal+Menard=McNardMay 3, 2010 at 3:23 AM

    Re: Fact list - Shouldn't the two about the oil rigs be together?

    ReplyDelete
  51. You're right, McNard. I think we're about ready to go final. Here it is with the latest tweaks:

    I. Obama is planning to deploy 80,000 troops IN AMERICA just before the elections.

    VI. Obama dispatched SWAT teams to oil rigs (Hat tip: anonymous commenter)

    III. Did North Korea Attack Gulf Oil Rig?

    II. SUPPOSEDLY "an alert Vietnam veteran" discovered a car bomb near the headquarters of the New York Times just in time to stop it from blowing up.

    ReplyDelete
  52. "After tossing away mints, Crest White Strips and a dog-eared Danielle Steele novel - the shaman finally found what he was looking for."

    Classic Yawn.

    ReplyDelete