Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thank you for your support!

In Afghanistan, was signing autographed pictures of myself for everyone who has supported my efforts. But then McChrystal stole them. I think he might have given them to the Canadians to use as toilet paper.

Anyhow, if you were expecting a nice autographed picture from me that's what happened. So if anyone ever tells you I just blew it off and went to Thailand for something called a "fishbowl" they're a liar.

Almost forgot... before I got disembedded for the crime of being the only journalist with the courage to tell it like it is in Iraq and Afghanistan I went along with a Company Commander to visit a local Afghan district honcho of some sort. I interviewed him through an interpreter.

Me: Where are we going?

Him: (through interpreter) to visit some local Afghan district honcho.

When we got there I interviewed him, too.

Me: How's it goin'?

Honcho dude (through interpreter): Can't complain.

Me: Where'd you get that scar?

Honcho: I was beaten in prison.

Me: Ever killed anybody?

Honcho: I have been in many battles. Many of my relatives have been killed, but many of my enemies are dead too.

Me: Got any kids? (These people love to talk about their children.)

Honcho: Several.

Me: Can I see their pictures?

But then the captain said he had a radio call and we had to leave.

15 comments:

  1. "Thank you for your support"

    Michael, it is we who must thank you for you keep us informed of what is happening in an area of the world where the truth seldom finds an outlet. Indeed, even as you have had to leave the closeness of your embed, you have brought us information that we never receive otherwise. I cherise the photos and stories you have brought us from Afghanistan.

    "These people love to talk about their children."

    As isolated, inbred, ignorant, and backward as they sometimes seem, most are not that disimilar to our own American independent and tenacious spirit.

    Your reports on the military machinations have been enlightening and somewhat frightening to this military family albeit absolutely necessary for how can we affect any changes if we remain ignorant.

    I must repeat, Michael, thank you for your invaluable service. As always, keep your head down, and as Angelia always says, Take Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "then the captain said he had a radio call and we had to leave."

    Crap! I'll bet you were just about to start asking him some questions that actually fucking mattered, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "As isolated, inbred, ignorant, and backward as they sometimes seem, most are not that disimilar to our own American independent and tenacious spirit."

    That's just what I was thinking while driving the kids home from their Buzkashi match! They are more like us than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, if I send you one of the pictures of you I printed from your sidebar will you sign it and return it to me? I'll send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AmericanPatriotPrideMay 13, 2010 at 5:03 AM

    "for how can we affect any changes if we remain ignorant."

    That is so true, and so deep. I read this site mostly for the received wisdom of Mike yawn, but also for smart stuff like that from my fellow commters.

    Michael, one day a picture of your face will be on the dollar bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one is interested in Kender except Kender. Not even his babymama or his kid.

      Delete
  6. Silent DreadnaughtMay 13, 2010 at 5:13 AM

    Careful, Mike .... Bangkok's where they got Carridine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya'll seen where them milbloggers is all goin homo now?

    Same ones supporting McChrystal in his attack on Mike. Tells ya somethin, don't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - first they turn 'em queer and now they want to give metals to troops who don't shoot.

    What would Grant or Sherman or Patton or Rommel have to say about that, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "As isolated, inbred, ignorant, and backward as they sometimes seem, most are not that disimilar to our own American independent and tenacious spirit."

    That's what's great about Americans. We focus on similarities instead of differences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a REAL patriot fuckfaceMay 14, 2010 at 2:28 AM

    +1

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a REAL patriot, fuck faceMay 14, 2010 at 2:29 AM

    Sorry, my name should have a comma in it in the comment above. Is there a way to fix that?.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I think he might have given them to the Canadians to use as toilet paper."

    Maybe he airdropped them on those illiterat Afghanitard kids.

    ReplyDelete