Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Horror

As horrific as it is, everyone should read this horrific comment some commenter left in the comments of the last post:
Pleading said...

Mike, please, please, PLEASE stop writing stuff like this and get back to what you do best - writing truth from the frontlines! If I want to read romance novels I can get one from the stacks on the wife's nightstand or the bookshelves or the boxes full of them in the spare bedroom. But I hardly ever do! When I come here I want to read stories of real COMBAT - between you and General Brooks, or General McChrystal, or General Menard, or that Admiral, any of those British Generals, all the PAO monkeys, and anyone else who is stupid and incompetent and in over their heads and proves it by going mano-a-mano with you! Also I want to see pictures YOU took of guns and young boys and stuff, not photoshopped covers of the same damn books that I see in front of my wife's face so often that I can't even remember what she looks like.

Your shit list hasn't grown at all this week! Please come back to us, Mike, before it's too late!
That's what I get for trying to write something for the members of "the fairer sex." But don't worry, "pleading," I will be back to writing about McSpiders and his merry band of PAO Monkeys soon enough.

Like right now - because I wouldn't be surprised if "pleading" IS McSpiders himself, or one of his shifty-eyed foreign undergenerals or PAO Monkeys sent here to attack. A few years ago they tried the same thing with my fellow frontline non-blogger/non-journalist Mike Yon.
The dispute over the unattributed and unauthorized distribution of my photographs has been resolved in principle to the satisfaction of the involved parties. The dispute had been exacerbated by Army lawyers, but once the matter was brought forefront and examined by Brigadier General Brooks, Chief of Public Affairs, it was resolved by another more senior Army attorney. At the end of the day, the Army did the right thing. I greatly appreciate the efforts of those involved, including the blogosphere and Brigadier General Brooks, whose determined attention and immediate action removed the obstacle.
Whoops - sorry, wrong quote. This is the one I meant, it's from a year later.
I don't like being here at all. I really hate getting shot at, and even today as I write these words on March 20, 2007, Brigadier General Vincent K. Brooks is evicting me from another trailer...

I am persistent to a fault when it comes to gathering and conveying raw information, especially the kind that no one else seems to cover. And even when reporting it will come back to hurt me. Like this eviction notice I received last week, ostensibly because of the surge, but in fact I was told the order came from Brigadier General Vincent K. Brooks, and there were still trailers available. General Brooks used to be the Chief of the entire Public Affairs. The man who would stand up there and give all those fancy CENTCOM briefings. (Which make for interesting reading.) Now his big office is just down the road.
That was from the early days of the surge, and those idiot PAO monkeys and their lying, no good, fancy-office-having general wouldn't even give him a trailer with internet access and instead expected him to report on the surge from a tent and get his own internet access somehow! Sure enough, one of those PAO monkeys attacked Mike in his comments, too. That is their modus operandi.
Michael,Let me give you some advice.First, quit pissing off GO's [General Officers], you should know as well as anybody that they all have some degree of God-like syndrome.Don't try on remove the tree from the top down; bottom up is the way to go. Seek out and make relationships with junior enlisted and junior NCO's, they can help you get it done.
Can you believe it? That's THE Mike Yon he was talking to! As if that wasn't bad enough, it got ten times worse - the guy would not let up!
When someone in a position to help reaches out and tries to open up a line of communication, perhaps you should reply directly rather than using the fact that they reached out to you as a point of irony in one of your articles, ;-)We might be able to help smooth out some bumps in your road, of course if we can smooth out those bumps, you won't be able to write about them anymore.
"We want to help," this lying liar lied, "Good luck and keep up the good work!Out." This didn't fool Mike Yon for a minute! "This clumsy, disingenuous, planted comment is coming from CENTCOM," he said.
...in an informal, off the cuff comment, probably intended to undermine the credibility of my complaints, CENTCOM's OKW Zig rattles off a list of "helpful suggestions" that ultimately prove the point that the military's media arm is shriveled to such a degree that it can only reliably deliver self-inflicted wounds.
Turns out General Brooks was incompetent and in over his head. Fortunately they were able to work all that out just in time for Mike to be the first one to report the surge was working and we won the war. But now when I see comments like the one from "pleading," telling ME what I need to be writing or thinking or saying or doing I know what they are REALLY saying, and I know who is really saying it. And I know what language they are saying it in, even though I am not fluent in it like I am fluent in English and German. It is the language of the shit weasel.

69 comments:

  1. "everyone should read this horrific comment some commenter left in the comments of the last post"

    "everyone should read this horrific comment some horrific commenter left in the comments of the last post"

    FIFY

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, FIFY - did you not read a single word beyond that? The whole point of this post is that NO ONE tells Michael Yawn (or Mike Yon, I suppose) what to write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patriotic Mike Yon FanMay 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM

    Maybe "FIFY" and "pleading" are one and the same.

    STFU, FIFY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can someone tell me what FIFY means?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy, FIFY was saying that Michael should have added the word "horrific" between "some" and "commenter" in the first paragraph of his post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave in SanduskyMay 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM

    Hang on, Candy, I think Mandy is asking what the letters FIFY stand for...

    Mandy, it means Fixed It For You.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TY Candy, I understand it now. (And thanks Dave, but I knew that - Candy knew what I meant.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come to think of it, that's probably another reason why 'pleading' attacked Michael so viciously - he's really one of the only men in the world who really knows the mind of a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post has been linked at "Stop Betrayus Now!
    (Formerly "Captain Rock Jaw's Combat Journal")" home of all the latest links to other posts with comments like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bea, it's like he can see right through us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, right?

    BTW, anyone heard from that anonymous commenter who was going to get Aerosmith to record that song?

    ReplyDelete
  12. "BTW, anyone heard from that anonymous commenter who was going to get Aerosmith to record that song?"

    No - and that reminds me, has anyone heard from Jerome? On Sunday he said he was going to check something out with a former SpecOps guy who goes to his church, and we haven't heard from him since.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Long Time Reader, First Time CommenterMay 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM

    Michael, long time reader, first time commenter here. I usually just lurk, this time I felt I had to log in and say THANK YOU for your service, and all you do for us and the troops. Don't let the bastards grind you down! America supports you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome aboard, Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter! Great to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cornwallmcchrystalisadoosh (cornwall)May 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM

    CornwallPatriot, I think Jerome said he would check back in at "approx. 1900 zulu." I'm not sure what that means, but if we can decode it we can figure out whether we should worry.

    Oh, and welcome aboard, Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter! Don't be a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dave in SanduskyMay 4, 2010 at 7:35 PM

    Sorry, Mandy. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to the Yawwn family, Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "My bad" - - Dave, around here "MY" means one thing: Michael Yawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry, "Yawn family". Didn't mean to make a double doubleyew!

    ReplyDelete
  20. And MY does not go next to B-A-D.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Long Time Reader, First Time CommenterMay 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Meghan, what if he meant "Bad" as in "good"? A lot of the young people are using it that way these days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Not one, but TWO Long Time Reader, First Time Commenters on this post. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stop trying to defend the undefendable, Bea. And I noticed your lame effort to get "sorry Yawn family" into a quote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dave in SanduskyMay 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM

    "TWO Long Time Reader, First Time Commenters on this post..." Mandy, now you're just pretending to be an airhead. It's cute, but please stop. ;)

    (Ignoring you, Meghan)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! two first time commenters on this post! Did Hot Air link?

    ReplyDelete
  27. BETRAYUSNOMORE (Cornwall)May 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM

    "I think Jerome said he would check back in at "approx. 1900 zulu." I'm not sure what that means, but if we can decode it we can figure out whether we should worry."

    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE 1900 ZULU IS?

    ReplyDelete
  28. BETRAYUSMUSTGO (Cornwall!)May 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM

    Looks like a street address, but we don't know the city.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Here's what I got from GoogleMaps:

    1900 Zulu St, Emdeni, Soweto, Gauteng 1861, South Africa
    1900 Zulu St, California, Washington, PA 15419
    1900 Zulu Dr, Mofolo, Soweto, Gauteng 1801, South Africa
    1900 Zulu St, Tsongweni, Katlehong, Gauteng 1431, South Africa
    1900 Zulu St, Lynnville, Witbank, Mpumalanga 1034, South Africa
    1900 Zulu St, Xhosa Section, Daveyton, Gauteng 1520, South Africa
    1900 Zulu Ct, North Pole, Fairbanks North Star, AK 99705

    ReplyDelete
  30. Long Time Reader, First Time CommenterMay 4, 2010 at 8:10 PM

    I left the first comment, but I didn't leave the second one. But I would like to say thanks to everyone who welcomed me aboard. I feel at home already.

    And welcome aboard, other Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Long Time Reader, First Time CommenterMay 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM

    Thank you, other Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter!

    I'm the one who left the second comment - I was saying thanks to Michael Yawn, but I should add my thanks to all you commenters, too! I feel like I already know you all - I've never found a more thoughtful, insightful, informative, and thoughtful comment section anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  32. cornwallmcchrystalisadoosh (cornwall)May 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM

    So - the North Pole or South Africa! This is getting to be a lot like one of those Matt Damon Born Identity movies!

    ReplyDelete
  33. BETRAYUSMUSTGO (Cornwall!)May 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM

    "This is getting to be a lot like one of those Matt Damon Born Identity movies!"

    Come on, cornwallmcchrystalisadoosh (cornwall), that's exactly the sort of tinfoilhat wearing conspiracy theory crap we are trying to avoid here.

    And you missed the obvious: 1900 Zulu St, California, Washington, PA 15419

    According to Occam's Razor, that's probably the one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Okay Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter and Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter - one of you is going to have to change your name to Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2 or else there is going to be a lot of silliness and confusion resulting if not.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Guys, just checked that address in California, Washington, PA and guess what?

    NO Street view!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2May 4, 2010 at 8:28 PM

    Consider it done!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Patriotic Mike Yon FanMay 4, 2010 at 8:29 PM

    Up yours, FIFY!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2May 4, 2010 at 8:40 PM

    Okay, I'll probably regret asking this, but why do so many of you have "cornwall" in your names?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2May 4, 2010 at 8:41 PM

    I was going to ask the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's no secret (yet) Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2 and Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2 - we're The Cornwallers.

    And this is the Cornwall Manifesto:

    *****************************************************************

    the
    CORNWALL MANIFESTO
    (these are THE FACTS)
    (draft)

    I. Obama is planning to deploy 80,000 troops IN AMERICA just before the elections.

    VI. Obama dispatched SWAT teams to oil rigs (Hat tip: anonymous commenter)

    III. Did North Korea Attack Gulf Oil Rig?

    II. SUPPOSEDLY "an alert Vietnam veteran" discovered a car bomb near the headquarters of the New York Times just in time to stop it from blowing up.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Morning everybody! Good morning, Michael! ;)

    Sorry I'm late!

    ReplyDelete
  42. BETRAYUSNOMORE (Cornwall)May 4, 2010 at 8:59 PM

    CornwallPatriot, I think we should call ourselves "The Cornwall Gang". Cornwallers just sounds.... a little silly.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2May 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM

    Speaking of which, did you guys hear they caught the guy who left the car bomb in Times Square?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh! Was it the guy I saw on television peeling his shirt off in the middle of the sidewalk like on the cover of a Hunter L'amour romance novel featuring Mike Yawn? (Be still my beating heart...)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Connect the DotsMay 4, 2010 at 9:09 PM

    No, it was a Muslim. From pakistan.

    Now, how about these facts - -

    The bomber was from PakiSTAN

    We're at war in AfghaniSTAN

    And MOST curiously: the name of the general attacking Mike Yawn is _____?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Connect the DotsMay 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM

    No..... (well, yes - but the OTHER General...)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Connect the DotsMay 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM

    Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  48. cornwallmcchrystalisadoosh (cornwall)May 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM

    Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of that... but now that you mention it....

    ReplyDelete
  49. Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2 (cornwall)May 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

    That settles it! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Tammi!

    Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you - got distracted! You feeling okay?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Fine, thanks! Stayed up late re-reading the last post...

    Has anyone heard from BethAnne From Muncie? I don't see any new comments from her.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2 (cornwall)May 4, 2010 at 9:20 PM

    Me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  53. OMG! I hope she doesn't live in Tennessee -I heard they got flooded!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I don't know where she lives. Hope she checks in soon....

    ReplyDelete
  55. Long Time Reader, First Time CommenterMay 4, 2010 at 9:33 PM

    Michael, After reading your writing for a long time I've summoned the courage to comment.

    Thank you for your service, and all the wonderful things you do. Please pass along my thanks also to all the fine young troops serving over there with you so my children and grandchildren can live in freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Mike, great detective work on this one, Bubba! After reading this post and your last one I think you're a regular Sherlock Wad Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Yawn -

    After briefly rethinking my harsh judgment of you (among other things) when I read yesterday's post, today's craptastic whine has returned me to thinking you're a douche.

    Cordially,

    Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  58. PS - Still wearing my yellow pants, though.

    Cordially,

    Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  59. I know that you know, that we all know, what you know you should be writing about. If we didn't know, then you wouldn't know either. But the PAO monkey who thinks he knows doesn't really know that you know, what I know and what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Exactly, Tiger Lilly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

    oh, and welcome aboard, third Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Long Time Reader, First Time CommenterMay 5, 2010 at 12:50 AM

    Thanks, MY FAN. I gained the courage to comment after reading the comments from Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2 (cornwall) and Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter#2 (cornwall) back when they were still calling themselves Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter and Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter.

    Oh, and please allow me the honor of being the first to tell Uncle Johnbo to cordially go to hell.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Minor correction, Long Time Reader, First Time Commenter: I'm MY Fan. MY FAN is another commenter here who hasn't commented on this post yet.

    You're new, so no offense taken! :)

    And I'll second what you said about Uncle Yeller Pants.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Uncle Johnbo, you wouldn't know the difference between "craptastic whine" and Mike's brand of authentic, two-fisted investigative combat journalism if it crawled up like a spider monkey and bit you on yer yellow-pants covered hiney.

    ReplyDelete
  64. "I know that you know, that we all know, what you know you should be writing about. If we didn't know, then you wouldn't know either. But the PAO monkey who thinks he knows doesn't really know that you know, what I know and what you think."

    I know, right?

    ReplyDelete